Fuquay-Varina Baptist Church - Our HistoryServing the community for more than a century.
Fuquay-Varina Baptist Church was organized on October 23, 1902 and celebrated her Centennial Anniversary November 10, 2002. The organizational name was Fuquay Springs Missionary Baptist Church reflecting the Baptist belief that evangelism was a major mission. The church name was changed to Fuquay-Varina Baptist Church in 1967 to reflect the official name change for our town which had occurred in 1963.
The list of fourteen charter members was compiled in 1930 by Wiley Perry Howard with seven other names who joined January 25, 1903. Dr. James A. Sexton gave the congregation a lot at the corner of Main and Academy. These hardy souls called a pastor and held their “first service in the new church” on June 27, 2003. Seven pastors later, the membership dedicated their completed wooden building on the first Sunday of December 1912.
The building pictured on the left was our home from 1903-1926.
In 1924 a first brick building was begun behind the wooden structure. Sunday School rooms and services were held in the basement on May 1, 1926 with the auditorium finally completed on the first Sunday of July, 1930. The third sanctuary was constructed directly in front of the second building in 1947. Thoroughly remodeling the older structure, the building comprised thirty-eight rooms, a kitchen, library, and other facilities by 1951.
The building pictured on the right was our home from 1926-1947.
With further expansion deemed impossible on Main Street, Fuquay-Varina Baptist Church purchased land on Woodrow Street in 1966. Here the congregation constructed a new building, moving to the present site on Sunday, May 14, 1972. In 2002, the present fellowship hall and new education facility were dedicated. Currently, refurbishing of the sanctuary for a second time is underway.
The building pictured on the left was our home from 1947-1972.
From Rev. A. D. Hunter, called in 1903 to Rev Eddie Eaton. called in 2018, a total of 21 men have served as pastor. From the first interim in 1903 to Pastor Eaton’s arrival, a total of 8 men have served in interim positions.
Sunday School predated the actual organization as a church and continues to the present for all age groups. Vacation Bible Schools have been conducted in the summer since 1925. A kindergarten, organized by Doris Weathers in 1963, continues today as Wee Care.
Fuquay-Varina Baptist En Espanol under Dr. Leo Guerrero began in 2007. Fuquay-Varina Baptist Church joined the Raleigh Baptist Association when one month old and is active in the North Carolina Baptist Convention and the Southern Baptist Convention. Contributions annually support the Cooperative Program, The Annie Armstrong and the Lottie Moon Mission Offerings, North Carolina Baptist Men, Samaritan’s Purse Shoeboxes, and other mission opportunities.